by Pastor Mark Jordan
“From sunrise to sunset, let the Lord’s name be praised!” (Psalm 113:3, CEB)
Today is the summer solstice, the first day of summer. This is the day when we get the most daylight of the year, with each day getting a minute or so shorter until the winter solstice in December. Since it’s the longest day of the year, make the best of it!
A great way to start is to follow the advice in Psalm 113:3, to praise the name of God from sunrise to sunset. Of course you should praise God in all times, but since you get the most time between sunrise and sunset, this is the perfect day to shape your life with praise. Do you need some suggestions? Try these…
- Spend time with God in prayer
- Read your Bible
- Listen to praise music while commuting, exercising, or instead of watching the news or some other TV program
- Check out a new spiritually based podcast
- Spend time with a friend or someone in need
- Call your parents, grandparents, or a loved one
- Serve someone, your church, or other agency
- Invite someone to worship with you this weekend
- Give a gift, no strings attached
Those are just some simple ways you can praise God, connecting with Him and others. Since this is the longest day of the year, you have plenty of opportunities to praise God. Make the most of it. From sunrise to sunset and beyond, let’s join together and praise the Lord!
Prayer: Dear Lord, I thank you for your wonderful light. Since today is the longest day, help me to see ways to praise you as I connect with you and others. From sunrise, to sunset, and beyond, I want to praise you with every aspect of my life. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.