By Mary Stout
“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.” (1 John 3:18, NLT)
The afterglow of a church service is amazing. Each Sunday it may be different. Every so often a Sunday gives you so much light and love you can go through the whole week feeling on top of the world. Now it may not happen every week as much as the pastors, or even you, would like, but here are a five things to do that will help you increase those experiences.
1. Start your Sunday in prayer before you get dressed even. Ask God to bless your day and pray for your pastors and staff that they may be a light and serve the Lord with gladness. Ask that your heart be open to receive the message the Lord wants to give you.
2. Arrive early enough to have coffee, perhaps a donut, and greet your fellow parishioners with a hello, a handshake or a hug. Smile and show them you care about them! Stay a little after service to help with whatever is needed.
3. Relax your mind and heart as you begin to worship and allow God’s spirit to lead you. However the Lord leads you, worship. It’s the connection you have with your Father that will give you strength and hope that will carry you through.
4. A friend of mine always says note takers are history makers. Not only do notes help you to remember the lessons, they will be there for you to share with others who may not know the Lord in the future. Indeed, you will be well equipped with your notes from week to week.
5. Serve the Lord with gladness as you gather with your brothers and sisters in Christ. Get involved in whatever the Lord leads you to do in the body of Christ.
Prayer: Father we ask you to help us to allow your spirit to lead us today. May our service, our hearts, and our love reflect the glorious light of your grace and mercy to those around us. In Jesus name, Amen