by Maggie Lasher
On the the day the Tabernacle was set up, the cloud covered it. But from evening until morning the cloud over the Tabernacle looked like a pillar of fire. This was the regular pattern—at night the cloud that covered the Tabernacle had the appearance of fire. Whenever the cloud lifted from over the sacred tent, the people of Israel would break camp and follow it. And wherever the cloud settled, the people of Israel would set up camp. ~Numbers 9:15-17 NLT
How often I have thought how much easier it would be to have had such clear indicators that you were on the right path! Simply follow the cloud: stop when it stopped, go when it goes. Today we don’t have the cloud but we have many other indicators that we are or are not on the right path.
1) Bible Study – when you spend time in God’s Word you will find you are more sensitive to His direction. Make it a habit to “check in” with God daily.
2) Godly Fellowship – when you surround yourself with Godly friends they will help keep you on the right path by their example. And you, in turn, will help guide them.
3) Worship – take every opportunity to worship God: in nature, in a child’s eyes, in an older person’s smile, in song, in word, in service, in church – everywhere! God’s whispers are more easily heard when you are worshiping.
4) Gratitude – remember it is all His and we are His children living in His world. Keep your eyes open to all His blessings and thank Him specifically for each. Keeping a gratitudinal attitude opens communication with our Lord through His Holy Spirit.
5) Nudges – though I wish we had a cloud to show us the way, it’s not as if God isn’t speaking to us. He speaks in small whispers, quiet longings, insistent nudges. Pay attention – He is talking to you!
6) Prayer – when in doubt, ask! God longs for fellowship with you in all aspects of your life. Invite Him in and He will make your paths straight – or at least discernible.
Show me the right path, O LORD; point out the road for me to follow. ~Psalm 25:4
Lord God, You guard our paths and make our ways straight or those who seek and trust You. Help us, this day, to see clearly where You are leading us, knowing that You have already gone before us, are walking beside us, and hem us in from behind with Your divine protection. In Jesus’ name, Amen.